Being a member of the Relief Society Presidency in the LDS church, gives me the opportunity to teach a lesson every 3 months. (which is not my favorite thing to do) However I have been looking forward to giving my lesson for several months! I chose the topic Standing Steadfast and Immovable. It is something I have pondered since December. I have reflected alot on the subject and these are some of my feelings about it.
As I was praying one day, my thoughts turned to a friend I know, Who seemed to have it all. She was strong in the gospel of Jesus Christ, anchored. She came from a good family and was a loving wife and mother. She was active in the church, and held many callings. Then it seemed all at once, this person fell away from the church. She left her children, her husband, and now has a totally different lifestyle, one filled with pleasure, self gratifications and addictions. Perhaps you know someone that this has happened to also? As I pondered about this person, I asked the Lord, how did this happen to my sister, my friend? What can I do so that I will always remain faithful and never fall away.?I was prompted to turn to my scriptures. I opened and read this scripture in 3rd Nephi 6:14-18 In the Book of Mormon
14 And thus there became a great inequality in all the land, insomuch that the church began to be broken up; yea, insomuch that in the *thirtieth year the church was broken up in all the land save it were among a few of the Lamanites who were converted unto the true faith; and they would not depart from it, for they were firm, and steadfast, and immovable, willing with all diligence to keep the commandments of the Lord.
15 Now the cause of this iniquity of the people was this—Satan had great power, unto the stirring up of the people to do all manner of iniquity, and to the puffing them up with pride, tempting them to seek for power, and authority, and riches, and the vain things of the world.
16 And thus Satan did lead away the hearts of the people to do all manner of iniquity; therefore they had enjoyed peace but a few years.
17 And thus, in the commencement of the thirtieth year—the people having been delivered up for the space of a long time to be carried about by the temptations of the devil whither soever he desired to carry them, and to do whatsoever iniquity he desired they should—and thus in the commencement of this, the thirtieth year, they were in a state of awful wickedness.
18 Now they did not sin ignorantly, for they knew the will of God concerning them, for it had been taught unto them; therefore they did willfully rebel against God.
As I pondered what I had just read, it was clear what I needed to do to always stay true to the faith. When I am I converted to the true faith, I will not depart from what I know to be true and righteous. I should live my life, so that I will never depart from it. I need to be firm and steadfast and Immovable willing...key word. With all diligence to keep the commandments of the Lord, so that Satan may not have power over me. So that I may not become puffed up with pride. Or tempted to follow a path that does not lead back to God.
Mosiah 5:15 Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all”
Note how the promised blessings of everlasting salvation and eternal life, made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, are predicated upon being steadfast, immovable, and always abounding in good works—
I have pondered this many times since. so that I may retain the lesson, and burn it into my heart. I then began to think of all the things that steadfast means. I also thought of what immovable means. From the talk given by David A Bednar, "the word “steadfast” is used to suggest fixed in position, solid and firm, unshaken and resolute." It is a action word. Here are a few I thought of: Loyalty, Enduring, Perseverance, Integrity, Diligence, Courage, Dedication, Commitment, Moving forward. He also States "The word “immovable” is used to indicate that a person or thing is unalterable, firmly secured, and not subject to change. It also signifies the quality of being unyielding and incapable of being diverted from one’s purpose." It is also a action word. Here are a few things I thought fit Immovable: Centered, Planted, Not Departing From, Heavy, Foundation, the Prophet is Immovable, Temple, Gospel they are all immovable. Thus, a person who is steadfast and immovable is solid, firm, resolute, firmly secured. I also thought of following the commandments, as talked in 3rd Nephi, and how we really have more than the "10" that are always referred to. We receive modern day revelation from our prophets and apostles. Things that if we obey and follow, our lives will be blessed and we will become steadfast and immovable. And how blessed our lives are when we live the gospel of Jesus Christ.
As I thought about these scriptures some more, I thought about my friend and how she knew better or should have known better. I thought about how simple her life ways when she was living the gospel, and how the light of Christ radiated from her. Then I read again verse 18. Now they did not sin ignorantly, for they knew the will of God concerning them, for it had been taught unto them; therefore they did willfully rebel against God.
When we stop nourishing our spirits, we allow our foundation to become cracked, weakening the strength of our foundation. At first they are small and insignificant. Hardly noticeable. But if left overtime, the small cracks begin to grow and spread. What used to be our daily scripture study becomes our bi monthly or yearly study! We must constantly be building our foundations, fixing any cracks along the way. So that when Satan shakes our foundations we will stand strong. That we can be one of the few, that is converted to the faith, so that we may not depart from it, that we are willing to stand steadfast and immovable, willing with all diligence to keep the commandments. Abounding in good works That we will no more desire to sin, but to do good continually. I know for me the first step is realizing that I never want to loose the gospel in my life, I always want be a righteous person and a disciple of Jesus Christ. Just knowing that... If I always remain steadfast and Immovable and keep the commandments, I will never want to depart from the truths of the gospel. I am so thankful that the lord taught me this lesson, and answered my prayer. I look forward to the day that my friend will come back to the fold, and enjoy the blessings of the gospel, but in the mean time I will help to plaster some of the cracks in her foundation , and be there for her when she is ready to build again. I leave these thoughts and my testimony with you, I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and that I am a better person when I follow Christ. to learn more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints follow this link http://mormon.org/ for the Book of Mormon follow this link http://scriptures.lds.org/ additional resorces on the subject Well worth the reading. click here Talk given by David A Bednar Jan 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Excellent thoughts! Thanks for posting them. To be steadfast and immovable, and to repent when we are not, is what's required to endure to the end ... don't you think?
Post a Comment