Friday, September 4, 2009

The much hated Fruit Fly


OK, so last Saturday we had about 25 fruit flies in my garage, for no reason, there was no fruit in there, they had no business being in there! Anyway through opening and closing the door so many times, they migrated into the kitchen! My worst nightmare came true when they invited all of their relatives and distant cousins in help christen my kitchen with their presence! every day their forces grow stronger! I have no idea why they are attracted to my kitchen! I have since declared war on them and have done several things to help them die!

First experiment...Ziploc bag with banana in it with a small opening, when the beg gets flies in it, you hurry and zip the bag the rest of the way closed and then smash the flies, Well have to say I did catch about 25 but it was not so fun smashing them, they made little crunchy noises!

Second, we had cheese cake for Weston's birthday, and i saved the plastic cake container, I drilled a small hole in the top and put a funnel in, I also put a banana inside, this worked very well, until they learned how to fly back out the funnel!

Third, I put some red wine vinegar in a bowl and a squirt of dish soap (to break the surface tension) This has been one of the better experiments because they are attracted to the smell of the vinegar and they drown in the solution. From the looks of things I have probably drown a whole family linage!

fourth, I have been sucking them up with my vacuum hose! it works, but you have sneak up on them and catch them when they are not looking, which can be hard because they have millions of eyes. I let there be a calm before the storm (tornado for them) then when they are all feeding and multiplying on a piece of fruit, I come up behind them and turn on the sucking power, man! it really sucks to be them right now! any way this seems to work the best but is time consuming!

Fifth, we put some fruit in the oven, and left the oven door open a little bit over night. In the morning we non chalantly waked over to the oven, and SLAMMED THE DOOR I felt like the witch in Hansel and Gretel! anyway we turned the heat on to 400 degrees and made it our little gas tortcher chamber! I felt really villainous with this one! anyway here is a website that gives several ideas on how to get rid of them! I think I will not be able to totally get rid of them until the frost comes! http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fruit-Flies

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Those dang Drosophila melanogasters...thanks for the tips.